You Have Fourteen Choices and One Level of Skill.

The rules of the game state that you are only allowed 14 golf clubs in your bag.

One of these will obviously be your putter, so that leaves you with 13 choices to get you around the course in the least number of strokes.

So what will you choose?

The beginner will generally choose the biggest driver they can buy with the intention of out driving all and sundry when they get to the course.

And I must admit to being one of those people when I started playing golf.

I learnt very fast that this was not the way to win, to improve my game, and to lower my handicap.

In fact my biggest handicap was the driver that I thought was going to be my savior.

There was no better lesson than the 80 year old playing partner I had one day, who consistently out drove me with his iron and a smooth effortless swing.

It was that day that I decided to change my way of thinking and concentrate on getting the most out of all the clubs in my bag rather than relying on a big drive and a pitching wedge to get me back on course.

Mastering the short game will do more for your handicap than any other aspect of your game, so getting the correct clubs for your style, physique and more importantly your skill levels will be the fast track to your success.

The difference in the distances that two people can drive off the tee can easily be compensated by skill with the irons in the approach to the greens.

There is more skill required for the short game and those who master the clubs that are needed between driving and putting will be at a decided advantage at the end of the day.